Presenter, Leadership Coach, Trainer, Author, Consultant, Pastor, Therapist
Areas of Interest, Inquiry, and Service: Leadership, Faith, Disciple Developing, Change Theory and Implementation, Adaptive Change, Positive Psychology
My vocational journey has surprised me as much as anyone. There is no way I could have planned it ahead of time, or even anticipated the twists and turns. On the whole, I’m very grateful for the vocational variety I’ve experienced. Each turn led to new discoveries, along with opportunities to contribute and serve in Christ’s vineyard (the world).
First, the most important parts of life….I’m a Christ-follower who aspires to live in the Way of Jesus. When I read the gospels, I’m consistently aware of how much I need God’s grace, and how far I have to go toward living as a disciple. I enjoy my faith, finding great contentment and satisfaction in this spiritual journey.
Being married to Melanie is a great joy (since 1987), as is being father to our three children. Since January 2003, we live in the Columbia, South Carolina area. Our family endeavors to live as simply as possible, making time for the people and activities we enjoy. Hiking, camping, running, and basically anything else outdoors is what we and I enjoy doing.
Back to the vocational journey. Perhaps the best way to paint this picture is not with pictures, but with a list. Education, Positions, Licenses, Certifications….they are combined in this bulleted list. I hope you gives you an idea of the flow of my journey. I’m always eager to see what’s around the next bend of this river.
- BA, Religion and Psychology, Carson-Newman College, TN, May 1985
- Ordination, Baptist Minister, Calvary Baptist Church, Little Rock, AR, June 1986
- Pastor, First Baptist Church, Crane, IN, July 1987-June 1989
- Master of Divinity, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY, May 1989
- New Church Developer and Pastor, Salem Springs Baptist Church, Murfreesboro, TN, July 1989-May 1991
- Counselor, Windwood Farm Children’s Home, Awenda, SC, July 1991-July 1994
- Master of Education, The Citadel, Charleston, SC. Clinical Counseling, December, 1994.
- Family Therapist, Berkeley Community Mental Health Center, Moncks Corner, SC, June, 1995-September, 1997
- Private Practice, Pastoral Counseling (part-time), Fort Johnson Baptist Church, Charleston, SC, September 1995-October 1997
- Licensed Professional Counselor, South Carolina Board of Examiners, March 1997
- Pastoral Counselor (full-time), Community Care & Counseling, Charleston, SC. October, 1997-September, 2000.
- Licensed Marital & Family Therapist, South Carolina Board of Examiners, March 1999
- Founder and Executive-Director, Lowcountry Pastoral Counseling Center, Charleston, SC. October, 2000-December, 2003
- Interim Pastor (part-time), Corinth Baptist Church, Holly Hill, SC. July, 2000-June, 2001
- Supervisor for Marital & Family Therapists and Professional Counselors, South Carolina Board of Examiners, 2003-2011
- Founder and Director, Center For Clergy and Congregations, The Pastoral Counseling Department, Palmetto Baptist Medical Center, Columbia, SC, January 2004 – May 2008
- Congregational Consultant Training, Center for Congregational Health, Winston-Salem, NC. April 2004-December 2004
- Trained Emotional Intelligence Inventory Trainer, ILCT, 2005
- Certified Life Coach, The Life Coaching Institute, 2006
- Certified Peoplemap Trainer, Spring 2007
- Associate Certified Coach, International Coach Federation, June, 2008
- President, Pinnacle Leadership Associates, Lexington, SC. June 2008 – Present. Pinnacle is the organization through which I do coaching, consulting, and training; along with the fine team of Associates who are Pinnacle.
- Founder and Executive-Director (part-time), LifePoint Counseling Center, Lexington, SC, June 2008-May 2011
- Interim Pastor, Consultant, And Renewal Pastor (part-time), Kathwood Baptist Church, Columbia, SC, January 2010-December 2013
- Interim Pastor and Consultant (part-time), First Baptist Church, Evans, GA. March 2014-Present